It is hard to imagine a world without emails. These are very fast and easy to access; hence, people prefer to communicate through emails. You can use emails for personal or official purposes. Nowadays, using emails also are not very safe. Email viruses and email spoofing are various forms of threats to the email users. Sometimes, the hackers sent viruses as an attachment through emails.
Downloading or opening the attachment may allow the virus to enter to your computer. When you receive an email which displays a different source name and not the original source, then it is called email spoofing. Email spoofing is also a tool used by the hackers to get unauthorized access to your personal information.
How Email spoofing affects your computer?
In a spoofed email, the sender may not be the same as mentioned in the mail. In most of the cases, the sender of the spoofed mail will target to get any personal information of the email user. Sometimes, you may receive mail addressed from the “network administrators”, asking for a change in your password or other information.
Once you provide your password details, the hackers may start sending mails from your mail account to all the people in your contacts list. Or you may have to click on the given link for a verification process. But if you click the link, it may take you to pages which you do not want to visit. By clicking on the link you may indirectly download any virus. These viruses may infiltrate your computer system and damage the computer parts slowly. You have to be more careful while you reply to these mails which have a bizarre address in the sender details.
Steps to be taken if your mail Identity has been spoofed
- Report about the Spoofed mails to your Internet Service provider and notify them through Email.
- Change your password immediately for all your other email accounts.
- Enable Sender filtering
- Enable recipient filtering
- Further do not respond to any mails which have personal information from the forged Mail ID
- Add and update the block list regularly with the spammers, either their domain name or their email addresses
- Download Exchange tools and RUN it to make sure your server is safe and healthy
Stick to the following rules to prevent your system from Spoofing attacks:
- Always keep your computer system updated with a good anti virus software
- Do not open the mail if you do not recognize the sender.
- Ignore any mails with comes without sender names
- Ignore any mail which has your name in the sender details
- Do not open any mails if it has only a link in the body of the message
- ·Enable the option of Filter messages with blank senders
- Make use of any of the three Email authentication systems( Sender policy framework or SenderID or Domain Keys Identified Mails)
There are no foolproof ways to prevent your computer system from these spoofing methods. All you need to do is to exercise some caution in the usage.