Windows Operating system is a very complex software program that performs innumerable operations behind the scene so that your programs get installed on your computer and run smoothly. Quite unknown to most of ordinary users, Windows operating system needs to consider hundreds of things so that the programs you run behave predictably. For example, you must have observed that when you make changes to your Word file configurations, you will find that all these changes are found implemented even when you switch on the computer next time. Windows operating system needs to keep track of all such changes to configuration and many other parameters of every program that run on the computer. Windows Registry is the tool which stores all such vital information about the programs and is managed by Windows operating system. Main functions of the registry are
- It is the database maintained by OS to store all data of programs
- It stores settings of the programs including security settings
- It also stores settings for hardware devices and OS configurations
- Security settings and operating system keys are stored in registry0
- Registry stores the information in the form of keys and hives.
How users can use Windows Registry?
Though the registry is used by operating system to run the programs smoothly, users can also access the registry and make changes to it. You can access and configure the registry by following procedures
1.You can open Registry Editor that comes with Windows operating system.
2.From command prompt you can access registry editor with command “regedit”.
3.You can open editor from Run box in Start menu.
Threat of virus to the Windows registry
Since the registry is the most important program that runs your computer, the creators of malicious software target the registry to wreck the working of your system in the following ways.
1.Virus and other malicious programs are designed to tamper the values stored in the registry.
2.This can result in slowed down system, corrupt software (many of your programs behave in funny manner) and fatal blue screen!
3.Not every virus attack involves damage to the registry, but there are some who do the damage.
How to protect the registry from virus attacks?
After the attack from virus, running anti virus program does not help if the virus has attacked the registry. Here are few actions you must contemplate in order to protect from virus attack to the registry.
- If you are experiencing slow down of computer because of virus attacking registry, you must use special software called registry cleaners. These programs also make the registry efficient by removing scraps of information no more needed.
- There are programs to scan and clean certain sections after taking backup and creating restore point. These programs guide you step by step to clean the registry.
- To avoid future attacks you must install reliable antivirus software.